Friday 17 September 2010

New start – new blog!

 
004-pola Today was the first day of the rest of my life. It was also the first day of unemployment.

I’m Nikki, I’m 23 and this is the second time I’ve been unemployed since I starting working when I was 18. I finished university in 2008 with a first class in Drama and Creative Writing. I was unemployed the first time about this time last year, when I left my retail job because I felt I was getting stuck there, but after a month of looking, I couldn’t find anything else. I’m also looking for an agent for my first novel and working on my new one. I’m planning to work on short stories to submit to competitions and magazines to build up a portfolio along with the reviews I post on Vulpes Libris. I love writing and I once wanted to be a writer full-time, but I couldn’t cope with being at home all the time. So I want to look into working in the theatre, the dream is to work with new writers. But I’ll start anywhere really!

Last time I was unemployed it was possibly the most depressing time of my life. I got out of it by taking a Future Jobs Fund six-month contract as a Reading Tutor in a local primary school. It’s been an interesting few months, mainly because it confirmed that while I love working with children and teaching them, I’m not cut out to be a traditional classroom teacher.

So when I was offered a permanent position at the school, I recklessly turned it down. Brave, some said. Right decision, my gut said. Bloody stupid, a wee voice in my head said. But turn it down I did. And here I am, hopefully on the threshold of a brand new life. I feel hopeful. I feel that the time is right to make a change in my life – lots of changes. Big changes. And I thought I’d blog about my journey because I know I’m not the only one out here that’s stuck in this rut and I’d love to hear from others in the same position. 

Career isn’t the only big change I’m after – I’m going for a health overhaul too. I love running but I’m flaky about it, so I want to get more serious and get my speed and distance up, time down. I also want to start doing my yoga again in the evenings because it helps me sleep and I’m not the world’s best sleeper but I’m generally too lazy to do it! I’ve also developed a real taste for healthy food since becoming a vegetarian but it’s often so much quicker and easier to have toast or a frozen meal. Bad habits!

So that’s me. I’m going to blog about my career hunt (which means there might be the odd feeling-sorry-for-myself posts), my attempts at a life overhaul along with the films I’ve seen and the books I’ve read and things I make (I like making things!).

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment