Tuesday 21 December 2010

So much to do, so little time!!

stressed-out As it turns out I picked the best – and the worst – time of year to get a job. Best because it’s the priciest time of year, not only for gifts for Christmas but also because I’ve had to buy snow boots (the irony being that they won’t arrive any time soon because of the snow) and I’m having to think about a new coat that doesn’t just soak up the cold and wet. Worst because I’ve got about a gazillion things to do before Christmas and another gazillion to do before New Year. Made worse by the fact that I was going to get loads done this weekend, but snow ruined everything! I couldn’t meet my friends for present delivery, so that’s something to do this week. Then I spent three and a half hours trying to get home from Harrow on Saturday. It’s normally a 25minute journey!! We decided that as it wasn’t snowing, we’d go to get most of the food. Next thing we know – blizzard. Still, got a lot of reading done in those three and a half hours. Even if I couldn’t feel my fingers by the time I got home.

And I also have to work Christmas Eve, which I sort of don’t mind because I can go once the last person has been seen. There are no appointments available after 1pm so even if I’m there till the last appointment, it’s not too late. The problem I have is that I’m doing a late on Thursday and last Thursday I finished an hour later than I was supposed to. If that happens again and there’s travel chaos, I’m not going to get home until very late and I’ll have to be out at 6:30am the next day to get in on time. I also haven’t seen hide nor hair of a contract and no one seems bothered about asking for my bank details. I hate having to ask about that stuff because I can see how busy everyone is and I feel like I’m worrying them. But I’m going to have to ask today because it’s getting daft now. And I really would like to be paid at the end of the month.

And finally! My internet started playing up last night which somehow – don’t ask me how! – led to iPlayer deleting every download that I attempted to play. So I’ve lost the last episode of Live at the Apollo and the last two episodes of Holby City. No great loss I hear you cry – but it’s my guilty pleasure and I wanted to see the lead up to the great Connie Beauchamp’s departure!

To sum up: I am feeling very stressed right now. I can’t even think about that short story competition that I wanted to enter.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting the job! I started following this blog because I was reading the book reviews on book foxes and being nosy clicked through and I have hated being short of work myself so I kind of felt that such a positive blog deserved support. I do two part-time things at the moment, would prefer one FT thing, but in the past have sometimes had nothing. I love the way you were encouraging to other job seekers even after you got your own. Anyway, that's all I wanted to write. Happy New Year. Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support. Given how horrific the experience of being out of work was for me, I'm really into encouraging people who are still in that situation. I just don't think the encouragement is there really, at least, I didn't feel there was. Also, I like to remind myself that I'm really lucky now to have a job. That's hard to keep in mind when I'm on a freezing train platform at 7am! Really good that you have two part-time things, congrats! Although how do you juggle the two?? Keep in touch please!

    ReplyDelete