Monday 1 November 2010

The November Challenge

1476_MEDIUM What is it about autumn that makes me want to cook everything and eat everything? What with Nigella and Nigel Slater as well as Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals, I feel like I could eat the world! It doesn’t hurt that now is the season for eating up and keeping warm. Oooo, butternut squash, honey-roasted parsnips, sweet potatoes, spinach, courgette, cauliflower. How do I love thee, let me count the ways…

Yesterday I made vegetarian Lincolnshire sausages with roasted butternut squash and sweet potato wedges and stuffed mushrooms (did I mention how much I adore mushrooms?). I can actually cook, what a revelation! And it tasted goooooood.

So, as I’m able to glory in the wonders of autumn veg and my new – miraculous – ability not to poison people, I’m giving myself cadbury-milk-chocolatea bit of a challenge. My family, through long acquaintance with my gluttonous adoration of all things chocolate, thinks I can’t give it up. That I cannot do without it. And true, I haven’t exactly done anything to dispel this idea, I am after all the only person I know that gets brownie mix in my fringe when licking the bowl. But I’ve decided to prove ‘em wrong. Not a lick of chocolate will pass my lips until 1st December. Surely there’ll be some tins of Quality Street going cheap in Asda by then? I’m already facing the knowing chortles of le fam (mainly because even a yeast intolerance hasn’t curbed my appetite for peanut butter sandwiches). But I’m coming over all Obama on this – Yes I can!!

In other news, I am wildly attempting to get tickets to see the RSC production of Romeo and Juliet at the Roundhouse and Nan has decided she doesn’t like Einstein in the new Genius gluten-free bread advert. Why? “He makes me feel like I’ve shit meself.” Eloquent as ever, Nan.

No comments:

Post a Comment